• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

What's your favorite tea?

threelibras99

Bluelighter
I'm not sure if this is the right forum, sorry!

I'm wondering what's everybody's favorite tea? Is there a certain brand I should be looking for? I want to start making my own, but I don't know what's good and what's not.

I love real chai... i make it myself. Or chai baught in india is the best.

Otherwise.

I really like earls grey tea. Its a bit more flavoursome.

I also love peppermint tea and camomile and honey tea...

blueberry green tea
honey vanilla chamomile
sleepytime...whatever is in that one I think chamomile, spearmint, lemongrass

Taliana said:

No kidding?? I love chai too!! The imported ones cost just about 3000% of how much you can get it for in India :(

Green Tea hands town....only warm

It took me a while to get used to the taste but I actually enjoy it now. I take it as more of a medicine though because it just makes me feel so fucking good...full of antioxidants

i like a nice strong cup of darjeeling

honey vanilla chamomile is really good too....as is the tension tamer. tastes a little like sleepytime, has lots of mint flavor. goes great a with a nice bit of herb.

I drank green tea for about 2 months. Switched to yerba mate, now thats gone so im on ceylon tea. Every night I drink a ;cup of yoga bedtime shit. Valerian root and chaomille, callafornia poppy, um spearmint , alot of shit. But my fav is probably green tea. Tis a classic

I drink about 4 cups of rooibos tea (red tea) everyday. I don't like the caffeine in green tea so i take the green tea extract in pill form.

rooibos has higher antioxidant than green tea.
rooibos is very low in tannin. Tannin is what makes tea bitter.
rooibos is naturally caffeine free.
rooibos is very low in fluoride

I love green tea and I especially love this mango green tea I drank recently. I also love hot or cold barley tea (mugicha) that I purchase in the Japanese grocery.

I also love green tea. Also a greent tea with lemon they have in england. Used to hate green tea!

rempled- totally... thats why i braught a whole bunch of tea masala back with me from india ;)

Taliana said:

What is 'chai'? I thought that was just the word for 'tea' in Hebrew, Farsi, Arabic, and a couple other Middle-Eastern languages. Starbucks uses that term for some of its products, but I don't think it has a specific definition.

My family makes incredible tea that is a mix of Twinings of London's Earl Grey and Sadaf's Special Blend. Both are tea + bergamot flavor, although Sadaf uses pure Ceylon tea and Twinings uses a mix of different teas. Mix the loose teas together about half and half, brew with the lid down for about ten to twenty minutes, and dilute it with water to serve a number of people. Guys: you just got the directions for the most incredible tea in the world.

The second best: In the picturesque Shawangunk Mountains, there is a Mountain House where me and my friends used to pretend we were patrons on our youthful rock climbing excursions. Exhausted from a full day of climbing, we would enter the House to drink free tea and biscuits, and try to fake our way into the dining hall to eat some of the most incredible food imaginable. I don't know if it was the fact that we were already dehydrated or what, but that was, and still is, one of my favorite teas. I found out the secret after drinking a few beers with one of the room service guys, and now I brew it for when me and my friends go hiking or hunting, and I especially tend to crave it in the fall. The secret (drumroll please): Orange Pekoe black tea with a tiny bit of Monarda didyma (like one leaf per pot of tea for 10-20 people) brewed really really strong.

There are many other teas that I am a fan of. For all of these, in my opinion, Twinings is the best brand:

English Breakfast, which is a mix of Kenyan and Assam black teas, is a great morning tea due to its strength and darkness. This is for me a classic, good tea anytime.

English Afternoon, which is a medium dark blend of Keemun and Ceylon, is a great afternoon tea.

Lapsang Souchong is a great tea with a very strong, very smoky flavor. I think it goes great with a joint or in the fall while burning an incense. This is actually one of my favorites, but it makes some people gag because it has a very strong tea flavor.

I'm a black tea kinda guy, but I can definitely appreciate a good green tea. Tazo Tea has some awesome greens, though its a bit expensive. China Green Tips is top quality Chinese green, and Matcha is top quality Japanese green, with a bit of green melon to mellow the taste. I really like Om too, its from the Himalayas and is a mix of green and black, plus its organic. I find Tazo too expensive for regular use, so for green tea I go to a Chinese food joint and ask how much for some of the tea they always have on tap.

In the summer I drink Yerba Mate when most other people drink coffee, it has a nice kick and tastes summery.

Ummm, yeah, I like tea. Hey, its better than soda. I almost forgot, I take the English teas with a bit of cream and sugar, the Mohonk tea with a bit of milk and a little sugar, my family tea just sugar, and all east Asian teas and green teas I don't mess around with.

hyperboreasghost said:
What is 'chai'? I thought that was just the word for 'tea' in Hebrew, Farsi, Arabic, and a couple other Middle-Eastern languages. Starbucks uses that term for some of its products, but I don't think it has a specific definition.

You are right on that. Chai to westerners is generally spiced tea, which normally includes things like cinammon, ginger, cardamon, nutmeg, black pepper, black tea, and whatever else might be in it. You can buy chai teabags in supermarkets...

What i meant by real chai, is real indian chai... which you make by using 3/4 cup of milk, 1/4 cup of water, tea masala powder (or you grind the spices you want to put in yourself), and black tea... i dont like the chai 'teabags' you can buy, they taste hardly anything like a proper indian chai.

But yes, to clarify, the word chai is used in many countries as there word for the tea that is native to there land... That is all :)

My favorites are: earl grey, blueberry ceylon, celestial seasonings 'fast lane', and yerba mate (in the 'others' category)

Thanks everyone for your replies, I've got a diverse selection to choose from :)

Keep 'em coming!

Green tea for me too. All the different varieties. I personally like sen cha, matcha, and the genmaicha